Sunday, June 24, 2012


pardon the fact that its been a long while.

K I have a story to tell that I'm a little ashamed of because I should have known better. People have been scolding me about it, "Julia, of ALL people YOU, should have known better. I KNOW I KNOW. jeez I guess I just had to learn my lesson. Here you go.

So since I start crossfit, my muscle mass has increased, so since crossfit became one of my main ways of working out and running got pushed to like 2 days a week instead of 5, I started to suffer with the muscle gain. It was harder to run, it hurt my legs instead of my lungs and it bugged the crap out of me. I was heavier and because of that I couldn't run fast anymore!! So 3 weeks ago I decided that 2 weeks before the race I would do a "cleanse" to help me drop a few so that viola I could run faster right? and then have a week to eat normal food before the race to get all my stores and energy up, good idea right? haha well I thought so. I started last sunday and honestly felt great for 5 days, sure in the evenings I would get tired early and then just go to bed, but as far as feeling super light headed or weak, that wasn't happening! Then thursday at lunch my bro was like, hey, mary, scott, tom and I are going to run 13 miles tonight, wanna join? freak ya I want to join! Well at least I was smart enough to do this, once I found out I was running 13, I started eating carbs, see I'm not totally dumb! Its just I guess eating carbs 4 hours before running 13 miles after not eating like any for 5 days just isn't enough. also guys, its 85 degrees outside, keep that in mind.

So after mile 3, I was dying, I was thirsty, starving and just dead tired. My legs didn't hurt, I wasn't out of breath, but I just couldn't run. Well, I couldn't just turn around could I? Well in my mind I couldn't. So i trudged on. At about mile 7, I legit had to start walking. I have never had to walk on a run before but I had to stop. I got to the point where I would run for a minute and walk for a minute, its all I could do to keep moving. I was so thirsty and hungary its all I could think about. These were the people there, David, Tom and scott were like half a mile ahead of me and mary and her roommate were half a mile behind me, and great, me, I was all by my half dead self. I even legit considered laying down in the shade right off the road in someones yard and just sleeping. I guess thats when I should have known it was bad. Well, at the end of that farm road, it was like 4 miles, david and them had stopped because apparently they had given us the wrong name of the  road we were going to turn on so they stopped to let us know. So we all waited there for a few minutes, started walking, and I, could barely pick up my feet. the boys took off and Mary, kiley and I half ran half walked. Mary had been doing the cleanse with me and was equally dying. Then we realized mary was listening to music on her iphone. DUH WE ARE CALLING SOMEONE TO PICK US UP. Well by the time we finally got a hold of someone, we had gotten a mile and a half from home. but it was worth it cause I don't think I would have made it any further. Well my dear roommate Whitney came to get us, i didn't realize I was in that bad of shape until whitney pulled up to pick us up, and I started sobbing uncontrollably. I was just so glad it was over and emotionally and physically gone.

So I get home and guzzle 2 huge glasses of water, I can't really stand so I just grab peanut butter and a banana and start wolfing it down on the kitchen floor. Then I make a pb&j and kind of lie down while trying to eat it and I get half way through before my stomach starts to feel sick and my whole body is so tired I start kind of convulsing and I'm so weak I can barely pick up my head, then I start freaking out so I'm sobbing and hyperventilating. Then my hands started to seize and I couldn't move them, same with my face, and they were tingling uncontrolably. My roommates are trying to calm me and my roommies faience and my fhe bro give my a blessing. Looking back, it would have been pretty scary to see and I'm sorry they had to see it, if I were them I wouldn't know what to do!! Well after nothing was getting better they took me to the hospital. I was so weak I couldn't even pick up my head, I had to get carried like a dead person! well I got there and they took me back. Apparently the reason my hand and face were seizing because I was hyperventilating. also,  I was dehydrated and didn't have enough food in me. So they pretty much just calmed me down, gave me an I-V and I was on my way.

I've never been so scared in my life! I didn't know what was happening and I have learned my lesson about trying to "drop a few" and then running 13 miles. never again.

I'm still feeling the effects from it. Fri morning I felt like I got hit by a bus so I didn't work out and then last night and today all I've wanted to do is sleep, I feel weak. that was the hardest thing i've ever done emotionally and physically. I was so drained.

Well the spartan race is in 6 days so I BETTER BE BETTER. 100%. k
that was  a long story and I'm sorry, but it just freaked me out and I hadn't blogged in a while, so I thought i'd share.


  1. mother of troy!!!
    i can't believe that!
    well glad you decided never to do that again because man alive not the greatest. but that sounds scary for sure. is the spartan race in UT? if so come seee ussss.
    for some reason i thought it was, haha if not then sorry i made that up.

  2. haha and by come see "us" i mean come see me because jos left me for the summer.